Sunday 1 July 2012

And on into S'katchewan!


Saturday, SK

I left Niverville with a belly full of Corn Flakes and bananas...remember, Ross, bananas for K
(Potassium) to prevent cramps.  Greg, who was a wizard with the railroad trivia (he could identify
every car in every train that went buy, by contents!!) gave me some really good directions to get to
Hwy 2, which is the southern version of the TransCanada Hwy.  Of course, I didn't either remember the
details or follow what he had told me.  Stubborn?  I ended up on the far side of Ste. Agathe riding a
gravel road across the prairies...three cheers for the ODSC and off-roading...more on this in Sunday's blog.

Eventually I'm near Carman and rolling westbound through rural MB.  It's a long way between towns and
it's very easy to run at about 115.  The weather was mighty fine and traffic was light.

There weren't many photos taken.

What I will remember is the oil derricks of the southwest corner,
shared with SK.

Wow, it seems like we could never run out given the number of pumpers running there.


I was tracking towards Weyburn, SK,
the home of W.O. Mitchell (Who Has Seen the Wind?) and of the
less familiar, Roses are Difficult Here.  Yes, Mr. Mitchell, they likely would be.  Given the turf
and the wind and the harsh winters, roses among other flora would be rather a challenge for any
gardener.

What's SK famous for?  Wheat?  Potash?  Flatness?  Rectangular shape?  No...
...and for Jane (look closely):

And this is not Brent Butt...

I made it to Moose Jaw that night.  Did you know about the Al Capone connection?  Click here.

Would you be surprised that the nicest campground is about 90 seconds from downtown on the other side
of the river?


I spent the shortish evening glancing through the Aerostich catalogue, reading Long Way Round, and
sipping a whisky.  Tomorrow, off to AB.

No comments:

Post a Comment