Monday 9 July 2012

Friday in Whitehorse


Friday in Whitehorse...much, much of interest to me.  I started out on Haley's bicycle, one she was given by the church office to get around, to go out to get some cleaning supplies for the motorcycle.  It needs a new rear tire after 6000 km, which is not unusual.  I began by heading out of town the wrong direction until I sought guidance from a local dog-walker.  Directions here are thorough and complete.  People want to make sure that yoou're headed in the right direction and feel comfortable.  Thank you, Whitehorse people!

I wanted to clean up the bike before taking it to the dealer and make sure there was nothing else of concern that came up from beneath the grime.  All is good.

I then undertook a series of historical events being presented.  These began after lunch with Haley.   She's still working today, but we managed to take in Art in the Park, which is free, outdoor concert held every day.  Today it was a bluegrass band from Skagway...not bad!


Then, Liam, a local high-school student took us on a tour of historic sites in WH.
We saw where Sam McGee, the namesake whose cremation was documented in the poem by WH's son, Robert Service lived.  He actually wasn't cremated, Service just needed his name because it rhymed so well.  There are a couple of unique, shall we say, architectural triumphs in WH.  Witness this skyscraper...


Then, an interpretive historian from Victoria, shared her rendition of the life of Mrs. Bompas, whose husband was the Bishop of this area in the late 1800s.  I think the amazing side of their life wasn't the proseletizing to the indigenous peoples, it was the back and forth to England from Whitehorse.  Imagine this, days over the mountains to the coast, steamer or sailing ship to San Fransciso, train to New York, followed by Atlantic crossing.  I believe I would even yield the advantage to Air Canada over these options.


The latter part of the day was my Samaritan's hour.  Stand by for a long story.  When I arrived on Wednesday, I was sitting having a coffee in Timmy's when across the street, a GS with a couple aboard pulled up outside the Starbucks.  They sat on the bike for 5 or 10 minutes while Paul clearly was tapping away on his phone (using the wifi from SBs).  I strolled over and came up behind them, noticing that they had a German license plate.  No surprise there!  We chatted for a bit and told me that they were trying to buy an "internet stick" for their friends in the hospital.  Shortening the story, their friends had an "off" and will be two weeks in the WH hospital.  I was sorry to hear this and offered to help in anyway I could.  What transpired was that Paul had scored a kijiji deal on the stick for $100, but to activate it required a Canadian address.  So, here's where I stepped in.  I completed that transaction and later today I'll get the affected couple, Peter and Edith set up with a Bell account for the short two weeks they need it.  I went over to the hospital to visit them and had a great encounter.  They're in good spirits and short of a need for crackers and chocolate ice cream, both of which I can deal in too, they're just readying to get out and get back to their home in Germany.  Their bike will be repairable...probably in Germany.  As we agreed, this probably would not happen if everyone had been in cars...yay for the biker brotherhood.

Haley and I took dinner at Antoinette's, which sounds like a chi-chi French restaurant, but is really strong on African/Caribbean food.  It was exceptional.  Oh, yeah, I like Yukon Gold...the local beer...must get to the brewery for educational purposes.

While Haley tidied for Sue's arrival, I shared music stories with Ethan and picked at his guitar a little.  Then, off to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment