Sunday 15 July 2012

A warm, wet Sunday from BC to Montana

A warm evening on the shores of the Columbia River at the hot springs leads to...a warm morning, in Nakusp.  Thankfully.  It seems my sleeping bag isn't cold-weather rated.

I was packed and road-ready at 7, so I set out missing the 9:00 a.m. Hot Springs opening to gain the time...maybe there's hot springs or a hot tub in my future.

Mist was everywhere.

The sort of roads I like to tackle, as mentioned yesterday are usually the shortest way, possibly the slowest way, but definitely the most interesting...til later this morning.  Read on.

When a rider sees a sign like this...it's game on.

I made 1000 curves effortlessly following a river into Laslo.  Because that means it's downhill, the effort is so much less.  It was revealing to see the river grow as we descended the 1000 metres or so.

Gas and then a breakfast recommendation from the proprietor.  Go the golf course.  Yes!


I checked out this hot springs resort, for $11.50...but
wanted to a) get to church or b) catch the ferry.  The ferry leaves at 10:40.  It's b).





At the ferry port, the anti-McDonalds...look closely.


Ferrying across the Kokanee...


The next short cut was not to be. 


I had to ask directions once and then when I figured it out with a few miscalculations, it was a "no go". 
It was going to be a shortcut to Cranbrook.  Maybe some other year.

I made it to Montana this night...I avoided a storm by chill-axing at Timmy's with soup and a phone call home.  I didn't take too many pictures because of the overcast conditions.  I'm staying literally at the gate of the Glacier Park shared between Alberta and Montana.  Tomorrow, more glaciers.

No comments:

Post a Comment