Monday 16 July 2012

Glacier Park, MT then the Prairies

Into the mountains and out again

Last night was taken at the gate to the Glacier Park, in Montana.  It's quite a touristy zone on the
west/south side.  Amusement parks, souvenir stands, etc.  Once you're in the park it all calms down
nicely.  It's a wonder of the world, actually.  Look on...

I began by getting to the road early, as I usually do.  In fact, I planned breakfast in the park.  I
had expected to be camping, so I had everything.  I just didn't want to face a wet night and cold
temperatures, in a tent.

So, I set up the old burner and did up a double-portion of instant oatmeal, with Okanagan cherries
and apricots.  I had a Starbucks (instant coffee) and stood beside the swirling waters of the
MacDonald, where it leaves the glacier valley and empties into its namesake lake.

There is almost no way to do justice to the vistas and the surroundings of the park.  It is unlike

any other area I've been to, including the Alps and the Rockies in Canada.  I'll let some of the

pictures tell the story.

This second shot is after climbing from the river to about 1500m.

Look out for the waterfall...

And there's still more climbing to be done (peaking at about 2100m...6800 ft).

Mountain Goat

This shot has just about everything...

Yes, I made a snowball and yes, I threw it off the mountain!

The lake at the east-end of the park...

Bye, mountains...til next time.

And onward to Swift Current, SK picking up one time zone and knocking off one province (AB).




No comments:

Post a Comment